What’s going on peoples? This blog post will be used to document my current progress on Alucard.
Although I already had to do a good amount of the movement engine itself for the intro stage, the fact is that it was my first time coding something like that. So suffice to say, it was a bit messy and there was room for improvement (anybody who looked at the code would agree). What I have done is taken pieces from my former code, and reorganized it much more, and recoded several bits to make it easier to find things, and just make the code easier to read in general and more efficient.
Alucard is a very intricate character, and it is amazing how many nuances, and animations he has for just specific things. So far here is what is done for Alucard:
- Mist form completed; this includes changing into it, movement, particles, primitives, warping, etc. All that is left is some minor fine tuning. Video to follow in the next day or so.
- Put in dust particles for when alucard starts walking, backsteps on the ground, or comes to a sudden stop
- Corrected wing smash ex to come to a gradual halt instead of a sudden one
- Fixed an issue where surfaces were not aligned with the alucard sprite when he was rotated.
- Completed the bat fire attack as well as the “manual” explosion ability for it
- Tweaked bat controls some
- Completed wing smash in bat form and particles
- Completed the 2 overlays used for it when transforming, and wing smashing
- Fixed issue with player trails not looking correct when sliding
- Modified the “trails” left by alucard to change from transparent white to blue like in the original SOTN.
- Added in several new sound effects
- Completed the bat echo effect (talk about a pain in the ass!)
- Completed the AI for when bat echo is used
- Completed the bat’s controls
- Completed form change from bat BACK to alucard
- Removed Alucard’s dash; he instead now walks quite a bit faster (or dashes constantly, however you want to see it)
- Walking up a slope no longer slows you down like in the original game (this was just annoying)
- If you walk off the edge of a ledge you no longer move less horizontally then a normal jump (another VERY annoying thing in SOTN)
- Completed his wing smash special
- Completed the ex version of his backstep (goes slightly further and faster, costs MP and is invulnerable for a short time)
- Completed his form change from alucard into bat, including the unique special effect
- Started on the bat’s controls themselves
- Created a white overlay effect
- Tweaked and improved upon the dash even more
- Fixed a few small bugs
- Completed his sit and church sit actions (sitting in chairs)
- All bat animations have been coded into GM
- All wolf fragments and their animations have been coded into GM
- Alucard’s slide from Castlevania HD (my first true sprite with multiple pieces to it).
- Alucard’s Backstep
- Alucard’s Air Backstep
- Alucard’s Backstep Ex. (an invulnerable version of the normal one that costs MP to use)
- Alucard’s Dash
- Alucard’s Dashing Jump
- Dive kick is now angled straight down, or at an angle based on whether you choose to go straight down or not.
- Various bug fixes.
- All normal Alucard animations (not bat or wolf ones) have been encoded into GM
- The cloak has been colored in a way that will allow me to enable multi-color support for it
- Standing idle normally and standing idle near an edge/on a slope (yes he actually has a unique animation for both scenarios)
- Preparing to throw a sub weapon by holding up (he has one for flat surfaces, and also one for when near an edge/on a slope)
- Coming to a sudden stop(he has one for flat surfaces, and also one for when near an edge/on a slope here too)
- Turning Around (he has an animation for this action)
- Crouching & Standing up from it
- Falling (including the ability to still jump during the first frame of this animation)
- Jumping (forward and straight up; both have unique animations)
- Double Jumping
- Changing from jumping up to jumping forward in mid-air, and vice versa (yes, these also have unique animations)
- High Jumping, including landing on the ceiling for a second
- Landing normally and hard landing (occurs whenever vspd >= 7)
- Dive kicking (this can now be done after a single jump with no leap stone on, or after the 2nd one with it on; so you start the game with it in other words)
Next up, I plan on working on the wolf mode, as well as the mist transformation, followed by spells.
Stay tuned for more updates as progress continues!