Since my previous post I have been hard at work fixing bugs that were anywhere in the code, and finalizing stuff for a beta release, optimizing some stuff (like the views code), arranging other things, etc. I actually did a MAJOR rewrite on the player’s code to make it easier for me to add in the other characters later too. Basically also trying to make the code easier to follow for anyone who wants to modify it.
In addition to this, I have also completed putting in the damage particles needed for the damage types (fire, blood, ice, lit, holy, and dark) and I have completed setting up the overlays used for when the player takes damage. I have to say that I am astonished at how good all of this stuff looks in game maker! My biggest usage of time seems to be just cosmetic stuff, since I just have soooooooo many ways of doing things. I tend to try several things, before I finally decide on what I want to do.
I also implemented the script for when the action is frozen in game (Like when Maria powers up Richter). In the original game, this was used quite a bit in game; however I no longer intend to use it for things like the summon spirit spell, or even shield spells. It just feels like it interrupts the game play and is unnecessary. There are other, better ways of doing stuff like that, without a sudden pause.
I have also completed putting in all of the gfx for Dracula’s first form. I am now beginning to code in the timing for the animations, and his AI. After that I will be starting on Dracula’s 2nd form and doing the same.
Stay tuned for more updates, coming soon………….
EDIT: some quick pics of the fire damage, and cut damage being inflicted on the player, and some pics of some attacks hitting some placeholder testing enemies:
Lastly here is a picture of Richter’s new intro stage portrait (taken from some DXC art and edited by Jorge Fuentes):